Part 6 of 6
The Barna Group has done a new study and published what it says are the six biggest trends in American churches today:
- The Christian Church is becoming less theologically literate.
- Christians are becoming more ingrown and less outreach-oriented.
- Growing numbers of people are less interested in spiritual principles and more desirous of learning pragmatic solutions for life.
- Among Christians, interest in participating in community action is escalating.
- The postmodern insistence on tolerance is winning over the Christian Church.
- The influence of Christianity on culture and individual lives is largely invisible.
Today we address the final item:
Item 6: The influence of Christianity on culture and individual lives is largely invisible. After analyzing the other results, how can this last point be a surprise? Our foundation has lost its depth. Our faithful bedrock has slowly been replaced by sand. We have gone from missions to naval gazing. We seek worldly prosperity rather than eternal life. We put up neon signs to tell the world how great we are when under the sign they see the bordello for what it is. After all, what else is it but whoredom when we give up our purity to receive the money and pleasure of the world? After all, can we not tone down the Jesus rhetoric to get along? The church is ignored or viewed with contempt, not because it boldly proclaims truth, but because it is so sissified. The bride of Christ is not called to be girlish, but to be the help-mate of the mighty and victorious King of Kings. The bride of Christ is not called to whoredom, but to purity, beauty, and rulership with all the authority of her groom-King.